Saturday, November 15, 2008

"You're A idiot!"


This blog is entitled, "You're an idiot" because those were the words that resounded in my head during my last bike ride. It went like this:

I'm riding my bike north on Cedar, which is a nice street to ride a bike on due to the wide, clearly designated "Bike Lane." It even has pictures of bicycles for ... illiterate drivers (?). So here I am peacefuly pedaling in the designated portion of the road, and as I look up I am surprised to see a lady sticking her head all the way out her passenger side window as she screams at me, "YOU'RE A IDIOT!!!" (yes, she said A, not AN, and if she had written it she most likely would have used YOUR). The part that really startled me was the ugliness in her voice and the scrunched-up, distorted look on her face.

I thought to myself, "Maybe so, but at least I'm not sticking my head out of windows to scream at people." My next thought followed, "Wow, what an ugly person." But those ugly words played over and over in my thoughts as I wondered "Why?" What has happened in this woman's life to lead her to do such a ridiculous thing and to be such a hateful person? I can understand some goofy teenagers acting like that, as they act on their impulses or try to impress friends with their gutsyness, but this was a woman in her 30s or 40s.
It's really not important. I've been told much worse things. If I had not been so startled and schocked I would have given her an enthusiastic thumbs-up and a big, cheesy grin. Have I mentioned the dream where I step outside and the streets are empty of cars, but packed with bicycles and runners? It was a great dream, I'll have to write about it some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment